Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Strawberry & Banana Muffins

So a few months ago my dear friend, Elaine, posted some pics and a recipe for Strawberry & Banana Muffins.  I followed her link to the original recipe on Words To Eat By (which seems to have some other amazing recipes I need to browse through!).  Since seeing the original recipe I've made the muffins at least twice a month.  I had some bananas to use up, so I made them again today, and oh my are they yummy!  This is my revised recipe.  Hope y'all enjoy!

Strawberry & Banana Muffins 

Makes 12

2 large eggs
½ c. Splenda
¼ c. oil
¾ c. mashed fresh strawberries 
1 medium banana, mashed 
½ t. almond extract
½ c. white whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
½ c. rolled oats (not quick-cooking)

Preheat oven to 350. Coat two muffin tins with non-stick spray and set aside.

In large mixing bowl whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in sugar, Splenda, oil, strawberries, banana, and almond extract.

In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats. Stir or whisk until evenly distributed and then add to the wet mixture. Stir gently, just until combined (the advice from WTEB is "with low-fat baking you really don’t want to touch it too much or the finished product will be tough."  However, I didn't make mine low-fat -- meaning I used whole eggs instead of egg whites -- so I'm not sure if this rule completely applies.  Nonetheless, I did stir the mixture as little as possible).  

Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. 

Bake 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Turn muffins out onto a wire rack immediately and let cool. Serve warm, or at room temperature.



I have loads more bananas to use up, so once I stock up on eggs (hopefully non-contaminated eggs!)  I'll be making more and freezing them so I'll have a nice sweet snack that's isn't full of preservatives and junk.

To track food on SparkPeople I need to enter the nutrition info as well.  The original recipe says each muffin is worth 4 WW points, but that means nothing to me.  I googled and found a new recipe calories calculator.  I don't know how reliable it is, but I used it anyway.  There's also one on SparkPeople, but you need to enter each ingredient and amount and I'm just too lazy to do that at the moment.  Anywho, below is the nutritional info from Calorie Counter.  Oh, and I added links to both Calorie Counter and SparkPeople's new recipe calorie calculators on the sidebar.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 60 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 175
Calories from Fat 52
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5.8g 9%
Saturated Fat 0.9g 5%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 35mg 12%
Sodium 162mg 7%
Total Carbohydrates 25.6g 9%
Dietary Fiber 1.2g 5%
Sugars 9.8g
Protein 3.3g

Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 5%
Iron 6%
Nutrition Grade C+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments: